Sunday, September 18, 2016

Why I Ride Motorcycles

Why I Ride Motorcycles

Unless you have experienced the exhilaration that comes from flying down the road on a motorcycle you may think that as riders, we are a little over-zealous for this sport that we love. This is a hard opinion to change without inviting the skeptics out there to come and see for themselves. But in an effort to share just a small insight into this crazy passion that we have, I have offered up a few main reasons as to why I ride:

To Get Outside

I love to be outdoors. God created this vast, beautiful earth for us to enjoy and what better way to experience it than while straddling the seat of a motorcycle? Sure, we can still see the world from the seat of a car and for some this is enough. But as a rider, I am not satisfied with just seeing – I want to experience the world. I want to touch it, feel it, breathe it in, become a part of it.
And that is exactly what riding does for me every time I open up the throttle and hit the road. I notice the colors, breathe in the smells, the sound of the engine mixing with the sound of nature. With the wind in my face and the sun on my back I get to experience the great outdoors.
Without the distractions of music or sipping on coffee, I get to really hone into the sights and sounds of what’s around.  Unless you are a rider, you never really notice the small details on even common routes you take.  Your senses are heightened like you’re Spiderman. 

It’s Free Therapy

Anyone who has spent any time on a motorcycle knows that it is not an inexpensive hobby. But in most cases, I still believe it is cheaper than professional therapy. And I don’t even have to argue that it is more fun than sitting in the doctor’s office.
The second I fire up my machine, whatever is happening in my life outside of this moment becomes obsolete. In that time it is just me, my motorcycle and miles of road to work my frustrations out on. Riding makes me feel strong, empowered, free and invincible because when I pull that helmet on, I AM invincible. Whatever stress I feel, whatever worries are nagging me or weighing heavy on my heart – when I ride it all fades away.  For a while, I am free.  

When I ride, my character is shaped and strengthened. I learn lessons on the road that directly correlate to my everyday life. I learn to trust in myself and my abilities. I learn to trust in others around me. I learn to be responsible and accountable for my actions. I gather courage to attempt the things I am afraid of, exhibit bravery while I face them, and gain confidence when I conquer.

To Be a Part of Something Bigger


First time riders may be unaware, but the moment you hold the set of keys to your new machine in your hand, you have just been adopted in as the newest member of the riding community. You instantly gain thousands of new friends and family members who accept you because you have the passion for riding binding you together.  Other riders will wave at you as you pass by, start chatting with you at the stop light, or ask where you got the jacket or helmet you're wearing.  The point is, you will be part of a community that is passionate, diverse and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment